Sunday 5 September 2010

Gehenna - Upon The Gravehill [King Of The Monsters]

I'll admit I'm a little new to this band, I only picked up the collection record 'War Of The Sons Of Light And Dark' last year while trawling through some label's online stores, I gathered a few records on mp3 after that and always meant to get some more of their stuff on vinyl.  This month I succeeded.
This is their '03 record repressed on lovely coloured wax, same label, I think it's Mike Cheese's own label, correct me if I'm wrong (edit: I was wrong).  I don't know the numbers on the first press, and I'm not normally one to hunt things down on ebay, if I missed it first time around, I missed it, move on.  Unless it's Disciple, then I need to get it all.
I ordered a couple of these with the thinking that I'd pick one up for someone in the UK who wanted to get one and didn't want to pay the postage for just one record.  I assumed I'd only be getting the purple vinyl which is out of 110, it took me a little while to notice the records were both different, only when I noticed one was slightly darker did I find out I had one blue and one purple.  That was kind of cool actually because now I didn't have to bother with any trades or sorting out someone to take it off me, I had pretty much a full set of the second press (there were 6 copies on black, for the band like).
Purple out of 110:
Blue out of 550:
Holding them up to the light shows they're definitely different colours but if you see them without being illuminated from the back they're nigh on indistinguishable from one another:
Another thing is that the sleeves are numbered, but out of 110 each, did I get a purple cover with a blue record inside?  This is the sleeve for the purple record:
While this is the sleeve for the blue record:
Anyways, enough of that, onto the artwork, this one's got a fold out insert, one of those ones where it folds out to four times the original size and I'm reliably informed that this press has lyrics unlike the first press, always a good thing (Edit: that was misinformation).  I kind of hate it when the lyrics aren't including, almost like the band has something to hide or they're embarassed in a way of the lyrical content.  Some bands leave a URL and say the lyrics are going to be there, but how long are they going to pay for that hosted URL?  November Coming Fire did that on Black Ballads, they actually never got round to even making the website so good job they put the full lyrics on the 7" version.
The other side has the full front artwork, good job, another potential framing victim there.
Lastly, Mike put a little note in with the records, the personal touch, I've said it before and I'll say it again, more labels should do this.

2 comments:

  1. Nice record man. The original press was /1000 on black. It came with a poster with the lyrics on it, same the repress. That's pretty wild though with the numbers. I'm kicking myself now for not getting the purple repress but 'C'est la vie.'

    (Oh and it's Mike Genz who does KOTM not Mike Cheese)

    Nice blog man, I will definitely be checking it out.

    Cheers -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the info Evan, I've not got anything to compare it to, just going on rumour at the moment, edited accordingly.

    ReplyDelete