Thursday 2 September 2010

Sabbath Assembly - Restored To One [The Ajna Offensive & Feral House]

Bit of a strange one this, we're digging into the neo gospel genre here I guess.  These are all recordings of a bunch of songs the processians used to sing in their gatherings in the late 60's/early 70's.  Basically if you're into the Process Church and read up on this sort of stuff then you'll dig it, Aversion did a review of the record here that gives more of the back story to how this came to be and who was involved in the recording, I suggest you read that too.

Gold vinyl, when I ordered it I guessed what they meant was clear orange which is always referred to as gold vinyl but this is opaque metallic brown, or a true gold vinyl colour.  I used to own a Deftones 7" single for Be Quiet And Drive that was this colour, completely forgot about it until I saw this record, I used to love nu-metal back in '98, not H8000 metalcore like I should have been into.  What a loser.
Artwork is minimal for sure, it's all gold text on a white background, no 4p logos or any Process images of any kind, it keeps it mysterious.  The card that the sleeve is made out of is probably the thickest I've ever seen on an LP, it's almost like a bound book and the record barely fits inside, good job it's not 180 vinyl or I doubt it would fit at all.  The picture I took kind of shows how thick the card is, the sleeve isn't even one piece of card folded into shape like a regular record, it's two pieces with a kind of glossy sticker covering holding it all together.  

Haven't been able to stop listening to this record since finding out about it, constant rotation on both my ipod and record player, the songs are so catchy I find myself humming them at work.  I hope I don't start singing them out loud in the office though, people might think I'm one of those religious ones, you know, the ones who knock on your door and give you leaflets about saving your soul.  No one can save mine, I lost it when I laughed at that picture of Jordan's kid.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for the review, the album is awesome! Kind regards

    ReplyDelete